Whether you were a new or returning player this season, we want you to share your story by writing an essay titled “What Gay Hockey Means to Me.”
- These essays are vital part of our recruiting efforts. They show our prospective new players the impact that participation in MGHA has on improving lives.
- The essays help of us recognize our diverse needs and our shared intersections.
- They help guide the efforts of league leadership.
How to Participate
- Read past essays: https://www.madisongayhockey.org/about/what-gay-hockey-means-to-me.
- Write an introspective essay (humorous, serious, instructive … this is 100% your choice). Essays are typically less than 1000 words, but can be more if needed. Questions to get you started include: What role has the Madison Gay Hockey Association played in developing you as a person? What has participation in the MGHA taught you about your identity and our community?
- Send your essay to president at madisongayhockey dot org.
- All 2018-2019 MGHA participants may write an essay. Previous award recipients are ineligible for this year’s award. Essay writers are ineligible for the evaluation committee.
Deadline: May 3rd, 2019
- A committee made up of current board members, Our Lives staff, and current captains will read the essays. All essay writers receive a gift from the league and have their essays published on the MGHA website.
- One essay will be selected to be published in Our Lives magazine. And the writer’s 2019-2020 league fees will be covered by the MGHA!
The courage showcased through writing this can empower others to live more open and authentically. Please consider writing and submitting an essay.